Quelle: bremen.online GmbH / Dennis Siegel
The churches listed below can all be found in the city centre, including even an abbey in the heart of the Schnoor quarter. These places of worship are steeped in history and boast a wealth of artistic and cultural treasures. They also offer a space for quiet contemplation in the midst of a buzzing city.
Set between the town hall and the State Parliament, the St. Petri Dom (St. Peters cathedral) completes the ensemble of historical buildings on Bremen's market square with a history spanning more than 1,200 years. The church has an early-gothic style from the first half of the 13th century. Its two towers, one of which is open to visitors, are visible from afar and dominate the city skyline. Opposite the cathedral, Bremen's merchants put up the Roland statue – the symbol of their freedom and autonomy from the bishop of Verden, who ruled over Bremen for many years. During the turbulent times of the Reformation, the originally Catholic cathedral became first Calvinist and finally Lutheran. In the cathedral's lead cellar, you can discover the mysteries of the mummies. If that sounds a bit too macabre, the Bible garden offers a chance to sit and relax with a cup of coffee and a piece of cake.
Right at the heart of the Schnoor quarter is the Birgittine convent, a place of tranquility and contemplation. If the word 'convent' conjures up images of dark, dank walls and cold cells, then the Birgittine convent will come as a pleasant surprise. The newly built convent (2002) has a bright, friendly orange colour. Guests are welcome to stay at the convent, to share the life of the nuns or to simply take some time out.
Quelle: WFB/Manuela Gangl
The St. Stephani church (St. Stephen's cultural church), dating from 1139, was completely destroyed during the Second World War and rebuilt in 1950. Its overall appearance is dominated by a Beckerath organ and a window by the artist Mitzlaff. Since 2007, the St. Stephani church has been a 'cultural church', intending to promote a dialogue between the church and the arts. It is open to all forms of culture, including exhibitions, concerts, readings, theatre and preacher-poetry-slam, and aims to be a place for cultural experimentation and spiritual exploration
Quelle: WFB/Ingrid Krause
This Gothic church was built by Franciscan monks in around 1350 in what is known today as the Schnoor quarter. As a sign of the poverty and modesty of the order it has, in place of the usual tower, a ridge turret with small bells. The monastery was demolished in 1523 during the Reformation and the church was later used as a warehouse.
In 1816 the council handed the derelict building to the Catholics and after extensive renovations it reopened as a church in 1823. The richly detailed exterior is a fine example of the northern German brick Gothic style. The St. Johann church (St. John's Provost church) windows, which were destroyed during the Second World War, have been restored and depict saints from the Bremen region as well as other important saints (including St. Johann after whom the church is named).
Due to its importance as a central Catholic church in Bremen it was made a provost church in 1953 by the archbishop of Osnabrück. The church is often used as a haven of peace and tranquillity during the daytime and visitors are very welcome.
Quelle: WFB/Ingrid Krause
The St. Martini Church (St. Martin's Church) was founded on the Schlachte Embankment in 1229. The Gothic brick building has many colourful windows depicting biblical scenes. Of particular interest are the carved pulpit and the baroque organ front. The bells of the St. Martini church ring the well-known hymn 'Praise to the Lord, the Almighty', written in the 17th century by Joachim Neander, who was the church's pastor at the time. He gave his name to the Neanderthal valley, now famous for the discovery of the remains of Neanderthal Man.
Quelle: protze + theiling GbR
Built in the 11th century, the Liebfrauenkirche (church of our Lady), Bremen's oldest church, is situated right next to the town hall. Until the 19th century, it was also the official church of the city council. Its numerous attractions include concerts, the crypt with its medieval murals and stained-glass windows by the artist Manessier.
Quelle: Melanie Schaumburg