The Bunker Valentin is the ruin of a submarine shipyard from the Germany war navy of World War II. From 1943-1945 thousands of forced labourers from throughout Europe were put to work here: civilians as well as prisoners-of-war and concentration camp inmates. More than 1,100 died during the construction due to starvation, illness and arbitrary killings. In the last five years, the Bunker Valentin’s space has been redesigned and is now open to the public for scientific purposes. Along a circular route of 25 stations, the story of the bunker is told with historical photos, witness testimony from those present at the time, and short explanations its history. The route begins with the memorial "Vernichtung durch Arbeit" - Annihilation through Work – and leads from there directly into the Information Center as well as to other stations on the grounds.
Six subject islands interface with the themes found along the circular route:
- The U-Boat Wars and the legend which surrounds them
- Life during wartime and afterwards
- The relationship between the building and the people in Farge/Rekum area
- A video, not shown until now, of the Farge concentration camp.
- The history of the bunker after the war
- A display of the names and, if possible, photos of the prisons whose forced labour built the bunker.
An interactive media table in the foyer of the information centre shows the geographical development of the industrial military landscape around the bunker "Valentin" from the beginning of the 1930s till now. In addition to individual tours, multimedia and audio guides are available for use.